It just so happened that Hunter + Kelsey picked the perfect weekend for their late summer wedding in August. It was the weekend that not only teased us with early fall temperatures, it also was the weekend that the sunset SHOWED UP big time that Saturday evening. As it disappeared behind the blue ridge mountains, the golden rays skipped across the large open field where Hunter + Kelsey just a few moments ago exchanged their vows. We spent a few minutes under those golden rays grabbing a few photos and let me tell you, it was totally worth it!
A few favorite moments of Hunter + Kelsey’s wedding:
- Their family + friends are SUPER thoughtful when it comes to giving gifts. It’s no surprise as Hunter + Kelsey are the exact same way. Kelsey had hand illustrated cards made for each bridesmaid that included illustrations of their dogs. It was heart melting! And then Kelsey’s bridesmaids and mother surprised her with a custom made photo album. Each person created a page and filled it with photos and memories.
- Before her first look with Hunter, Kelsey requested to have a first look with her dad. It was the sweetest moment as they hugged each other for the longest time, not a dry eye in sight. It is evident how close Kelsey is with her family.
- Hunter + Kelsey picked the perfect spot for their first look: Above Hotel Roanoke, overlooking downtown Roanoke and the Mill Mountain star. It’s hard to beat smiles on a first look, they’re always the biggest and most genuine. At this time Kelsey also gave Hunter his gift: a framed photo of Kelsey and their dog “his girls.”
- After all of the pre-ceremony photos were done and there were a few minutes before the ceremony, Hunter + Kelsey snuck off to the cocktail hour patio. Hanging behind the bar was a hammock that belonged to a dear friend, Cory, that passed away unexpectedly last year. Hanging in the hammock was several bottles of his favorite liquor, Rumple Minze Peppermint Schnapps. Kelsey had planned the surprise for Hunter in honor of their friend. Shots and cheers were given…and not a dry eye was around.
- Incase I didn’t emphasis it enough: the sunset was incredible, you can’t miss these photos!
- Instead of a cake, Hunter + Kelsey had an ice cream truck come to the reception. As someone who has a weakness for ice cream year round, I was pretty excited about this decision.
- This group likes to PARTY. The band, Groove Motive, promised they’d make some good “photo opportunities” happen and they delivered. A lot of singing and dancing until the morning!
Special thanks to Jason with Simple Times Photography for second shooting with me!
Kelsey made her hair piece from beads that belonged to her grandmother. It was lovely and so special:
The hand illustrated cards Kelsey had made for her bridesmaids. The front of the card had illustrations of each of their dogs!
The photo album that Kelsey’s bridesmaids and her mother made for her. Each page was made by a different person for Kelsey:
Kelsey surprised Hunter with a special touch in honor of a friend, Cory, that passed away unexpectedly last year. They had a shot of his favorite liquor: peppermint schnapps.
Kelsey out did herself on the reception decor. It was classic with just the right attention to the details. I love the smaller glass vases used as centerpieces:
Crab cakes and prime rib on the menu!
Ok…sunset time! Oh my my my.