If I said I had been planning the Labor Day weekend menu for weeks, would you think less of me? 🙂
I love to cook and bake. I get it from my mom and maw maw. I learned from them the importance of cooking with quality ingredients and how cooking from scratch can make the best meals. Before my mom makes any big meal, she only buys her ingredients fresh and has been known to drive 30 minutes to buy fresh produce from a country store literally in the middle of nowhere USA. She also taught me when to and when not to follow a recipe. She’s known for making up her own recipes or tweaking ones to make them even better. My mom is one smart cookie.
When a holiday comes around, I will happily scoot myself into the kitchen to create some tasty dishes. One of my all-time favorite meals is BBQ & mac n cheese.
This baked mac n cheese recipe I’ve been making for years after my friend’s aunt made it & I basically ate my weight in it. I use a lot of cheese in it because that’s how I live life. You may not need this much cheese…or you may need more cheese:
- One box of macaroni cooked (if you’re making it for me, you’ll probably need two)
- Half of a block of Colby cheese (shredded)
- Half of a block of mild cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Half of a block of sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste (I also add a bit of garlic powder)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside a cup of a mixture of the shredded cheese. Mix cooked macaroni, cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Add to a greased 13×9 baking dish. Fill baking dish 3/4 with the milk. Stir every 15 minutes for 30 minutes. Last 15 minutes (when the milk has been absorbed) add cup of cheese to top and bake until golden brown.
I’ve been using the same Pork BBQ recipe for years as well. Super simple and super yummy. There’s really only 3 steps:
- I cook a pork loin or pork butt in Coca-Cola for 12 hours on low heat in a crockpot
- Remove, let cool and shred
- Add back to crockpot with your favorite bbq sauce. Let cook for one hour on low
And dessert was basically free. I had refrigerated crescent rolls that were about to expire so I found this recipe on Pinterest for mini Apple Pies. Super easy and was really tasty served warm with vanilla ice cream.
What recipes did you guys try this weekend? Post them below in the comments – I’d love to see!